Building for the Next 50 Years
Thank you for attending the Congregational Meeting on April 20th. Click here for answers to your questions.
Share the Vision for the Next 50 Years. View Brochure
Why Remodel Now?
Process – Figuring Out Our Needs
Congregants Tell Us They Want
Artistic Renderings of New Building
- Focus Groups
Contact CBD Board President
Please contact Rabbi Pressman or David Hoffman
to discuss a pledge for this exciting project. We need your help.
– Needs have changed
– Deferred maintenance
– Programming obstacles
– Major drainage problem from roofs
– Major donors willing to lead the way
– Start with our current building to utilize the current assets built by our founders.
– Modernize our facility, bring it up to code, and solve our long term deferred maintenance issues.
– Add facilities that enhance and contribute to our award winning programming.
– Make this a wonderful place to celebrate simcahs.
– Build the synagogue we need for the next 50 years and the next generation of Beth David
– Hired an architect who can help identify need
– Interviewed and polled staff, clergy, board, congregants to develop proposal
– Round table discussions with congregants
– Presenting this proposal for congregation feedback
– An overall appearance upgrade to the entire building
– An entrance that communicates a welcoming congregation
– Better ADA access to the building
– Places to mingle and socialize
– A new chapel for a more intimate prayer space
– A Beit Midrash – a place of study for adult education
– An expanded library
– A comfortable space for adult meetings
– A better reception space that provides clearer navigation
– More natural light throughout
– Sanctuary upgrades with more flexible seating, improved sound, more windows, and better access to the bima
– Social hall upgrades to make it an attractive place to entertain
– Improvements to the kitchen
– More flexible meeting spaces
– Improved office space for the religious school and admin
– Quieter classrooms
– Better bathroom facilities
– A way to manage the roof drainage problem
(Click on image to enlarge)
After the first draft of design – members were invited to detailed focus groups for every section of the building:
- How are costs being managed?
- What are the projected costs?
- How do we pay for this?
- How long will it take?
- Can we occupy during construction?
How are costs being managed?
– Picking the right architect
– Picking the right contractor
– Contractor bidding process
– Overhead & Profit bid
– Transparency of subcontracts (3 bids)
– Willingness to accept penalty
– Value Engineering Process
How do we pay for this?
– $2,300,000 already pledged
– Additional already identified in pre-campaign
– Planned capital campaign
– Don’t want any forced assessment
– Don’t want a mortgage
How long will it take?
– Rotunda & Chapel 6 – 7 months
– School & Admin Wing 3 – 4 months
– Social Hall & Sanctuary 3 – 4 months
– Total job 1 year
Work around bat/bar mitzvahs & simchas
Can we occupy during construction?
YES, with some careful planning and patience with the inconvenience.